Incomplete Idiot

"I've heard someone say that our problems aren't the problem; it's our solutions that are the problem. That tends to be one thing that goes wrong for me — my solutions." - Anne Lamott

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am currently the Logistics Coordinator for MCYM/Club Beyond Europe (my missions agency is Young Life, just to be confusing). :0) I have traveled to many parts of this world, but I'm not as well-traveled as I would like to be some day. I have had more jobs than I can count, and my list of interests grows everyday. I take seriously Paul's urging to be "all things to all people". Mostly, I am interested in being a friend to all the folks I have been blessed to meet, because I am discovering (slowly) that it is not all about me.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Crying Lessons


Over the weekend, I went with my niece to see the new film Bridge to Terabithia, which is based on the book of the same name. What a painfully beautiful experience! My roommate had mentioned it was one of her favorite childhood books, and my niece had recently completed reading it, but neither had informed me what it was about (that is the way I prefer it, and I will certainly try not to ruin it for anyone else). I am currently third on the list to receive my niece’s copy of the book.

I had assumed from the previews that I would be watching another fantasy-rich children’s tale about far off lands and dragons, fairies, monsters, and the like. I was right and wrong on that account. (I’ll let would-be watchers figure that out.) It was more a story of the nature of the fallen world and the quest for love. I wept unabashedly during a portion of the film (for those who know me, this takes a bit of doing). Maybe it was just me, or perhaps it was simply my time, but I feel I grew, if even just the tiniest bit, from watching this story. Returning home and to my own thoughts, I remembered a poem by C.S Lewis that speaks of some of the themes of love, loss, and redemption I saw in this story. It is always love that redeems us, isn't it?

As the Ruin Falls


All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through:
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, re-assurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin:
I talk of love --a scholar's parrot may talk Greek--
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.

Only that now you have taught me (but how late) my lack.
I see the chasm. And everything you are was making
My heart into a bridge by which I might get back
From exile, and grow man. And now the bridge is breaking.

For this I bless you as the ruin falls. The pains
You give me are more precious than all other gains.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, must have been a really good movie. I wasn't all that interested after the previews, but maybe now I will go see it after all. Thanks for sharing.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home