Incomplete Idiot

"I've heard someone say that our problems aren't the problem; it's our solutions that are the problem. That tends to be one thing that goes wrong for me — my solutions." - Anne Lamott

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am currently the Logistics Coordinator for MCYM/Club Beyond Europe (my missions agency is Young Life, just to be confusing). :0) I have traveled to many parts of this world, but I'm not as well-traveled as I would like to be some day. I have had more jobs than I can count, and my list of interests grows everyday. I take seriously Paul's urging to be "all things to all people". Mostly, I am interested in being a friend to all the folks I have been blessed to meet, because I am discovering (slowly) that it is not all about me.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Beauty is only...



I saw this video on a friend's blog, so I stole it to post here. Another friend said she had seen it previously and thought it was good, but that Dove, the sponsor of this self-esteem film series, still markets stuff that will, supposedly, make you more beautiful, youthful, desirable, etc. Beauty. What a snow job the world has done on everyone concerning that. I admire Dove for even trying, granting that they've got to make a buck somehow. The same friend who had seen the film asked me if I struggle with the beauty myth. Of course I do. I think I struggle the most with it when I percieve that some folks just don't get that most of what passes for beauty today is a complete farce (as this video clearly points out). Having a background in Journalism helps me, I think, at least to understand the amount of spin any given topic is subjected to in order to get the public to "buy it", figuratively or literally. But, even knowing all that goes into the pre-packaged beauty business doesn't keep me from buying into it to some degree. The sad truth seems to be that one needs a certain amount of, accepted as a cultural norm, beauty to be attractive to people (all people,not just the ones we want to date, marry, etc). I, for one, am hoping that things like this video can help me step outside of my self and culturally designated "beauty zone" and look for the real deal, beauty in all of its many forms.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

It seems like every woman struggles with issues of beauty. When I was in college the Sunday School teacher mentioned that our society had a fixation with "beautiful people". I've never forgotten that, and how much all of us seem to like and be nicer to attractive people. To prejudge people. You have to work against it. But at the same time, I think God gives us beauty in the world. Beauty is a good thing. I want to be "pleasant looking" for others (obviously sometimes, like when I'm tired, I don't care as much!). It's hard to find that balance often, between appearing pleasant/presentable, and wanting the approval and love of others because we're so darn attractive. But then of course, beauty IS in the eyes of the beholder. It's something to struggle with. I personally know, that's it's very true for me, that a good/friendly character makes that person attractive to me. Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Barbara

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home