Incomplete Idiot

"I've heard someone say that our problems aren't the problem; it's our solutions that are the problem. That tends to be one thing that goes wrong for me — my solutions." - Anne Lamott

Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

I am currently the Logistics Coordinator for MCYM/Club Beyond Europe (my missions agency is Young Life, just to be confusing). :0) I have traveled to many parts of this world, but I'm not as well-traveled as I would like to be some day. I have had more jobs than I can count, and my list of interests grows everyday. I take seriously Paul's urging to be "all things to all people". Mostly, I am interested in being a friend to all the folks I have been blessed to meet, because I am discovering (slowly) that it is not all about me.

Saturday, April 21, 2007

90% Mental



U2's song "Running to Stand Still" almost nails this topic for me. Not the part about the drug usage, but the idea that running and striving in our own strength is rather pointless and only causes us to return to where we started in the first place. Amidst the barrage of disappointments and chaos that life throws me (and all of us, in turn), there is that glimpse of what it would be like if I could just rest in the eye of the storm. Seeing my chance, Hope springs eternal once more, and I jump at the chance to fulfill that longing by trying harder to achieve it. Funny how that's not how to make things happen.

I recently became a runner (for those who know me and haven't seen me in a while, you can stop laughing now). I had always heard that running was 90% mental and only 10% effort (actually, people seem to say that about just about everything). Now, I must say that in the beginning I considered that the biggest lie I had ever been told, but now, now I am beginning to understand what they mean. The "runner's high" is described as the feeling one gets once a certain distance is traveled and when the goal is reached the runner feels as if they could just keep going. It is no longer a matter of physical exertion. (This was another running myth in my book.) I figured out that if I wanted to start running, I had to do just that, start. There really isn't any other way around it. But, if I wanted to keep running, I had to get to that mental place where it was really not me doing it. Before I get accused of new-age weirdness or a drug-induced high instead of the aforementioned "runner's high", I should explain. The Philippians verse goes,"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me", right? I took that verse and turned it around to emphasize what I had been missing in that short statement for years. I understand it better when I think, "Christ and His strength can do anything He wants in me, if I let Him". If Christ is giving all the effort for my benefit already, I will just get in His way by running and striving for the same exact thing.

I'm running these days less for what running does for me physically and more for what it does for me mentally. I can sit home all day "resting" and never have one clear thought outside my own pitiful existence, but when I run, I more easily turn my thoughts to the one who wants to do all things through me and towards the others that He places in my path. I'm not promoting running as much as I'm trying to convey that doing something that gets me outside of myself and forces me to rely on strength that is not my own is incredibly hopeful for me. I am no longer running to simply stand still. I am running (literally and metaphorically) to let Christ's strength be displayed in my life. At least, that's what happens on the good days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leanne K said...

You must love Jesus more than I do. My prayers are pretty sloppy when I run: "Dear God, when is this going to be over? Why am I doing this? Why can't I just be skinny and not have to run?"

Oh, well. Running gives me an excuse to see the people I love and to meet new people.

See you soon, O fast one...

6:26 PM  
Blogger Thompson Family said...

Run on then!! I agree - doing things that get us out of ourselves is sooo necessary. I often remember back to George's first series of sermons to First Pres. ....we are not for ourselves, we are for Christ first and then for others.

I noticed you haven't blogged in awhile but I know you have thoughts and feelings and observations of life so 'keep blogging' as a friend once said to me. :)

Julie Thompson

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home